I remember people saying if you were bad they would send you to Outer Mongolia. In this case it's different, because James is good he's going on a mission to Mongolia.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Still Lovin it, as much fun as a kick in the thigh! really!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelo!

It’s me again, and I’m still in Mongolia, still on my mission, still loving life. As of last Thursday, I’ve been in the country for 8 weeks! Crazy huh! Man I’m old, I’ve almost been on my mission for a 1/2 year. Don’t worry, I’m not getting trunky (that’s a missionary term for when you start anticipating your departure a little too much). So…what happened this week for me? I’ll tell you shortly, I’ll quickly address what you wrote about earlier and then I’ll continue.

I got your package last week on Monday, it may have arrived earlier but I don’t know, I only check on Mondays and I wrote last weeks email before I checked for the package. Anyways, I really appreciated it! The candy is spot on. I love those type of poptarts, I LOVE gushers. The mashed potatoes are a way sweet thing to use. And every thing else I got in there is awesome. Thank you so much! Now, the letters were a little weird…I was way excited to get all the letters but, to my dismay, half of them were addressed to the other ward missionaries!!! I’ve got like 5 to Elder Fisher, then others to Elder Eyestone, Elder Clawson, and Elder Miller….how’d that happen? Anyways, I hope their not mad I took their mail haha. Also, Brother Young talked about a plaque being in the bottom of the box. I looked and it wasn’t there so he either forgot to put it in or someone took it out before it got to me. However, the box wasn’t opened when I got it so I don’t know! Anyways, most importantly, it was wonderful to get a package from home and I really appreciate all the care and effort and money that went into it. Tell the ward and especially Brother Young THANK YOU!

That’s too bad about America, sounds like rough times! Guess it would be kind of boring though if it wasn’t happening. Just be comforted in the fact that no matter what happens, the righteous members of God’s true church will be blessed whether in this life or the next. That’s something you can bank on always.

So, you asked if we’re teaching English. The answer is YES! We teach 8 hours a week: 4 at two separate places. The first place is called Dream Way LTC. It’s like a free English teaching place and so whoever wants to come, comes. We usually just have like 2 or 3 people to teach so it’s kind of boring but I do the best I can at making it an enjoyable experience. The other place is called Undarga Secondary School. We teach like 4 grade levels there and they all are way smart in English. They can all write and read a bunch but they don’t talk it well. That’s why I’m there! So it’s a little harder to teach there cuz their little kids and they’re rambunctious! We showed them Over the Hedge for one class so they could practice listening and another day I taught them the first verse to Lupe Fiasco’s “Superstar”. That was fun. Don’t worry though, it’s allowable! We’re doing for the cause of English! So yea, that’s my English situation and I don’t mind it too much. I actually like teaching a lot it’s just a little hard trying to figure out how to connect with them and get them excited about it like you are. Ok, so really, Horse meat is really good. It’s better than any other type that I can think of here in Mongolia. A horse steak would destroy a cow steak anyday of the week in my opinion.

Anyways…this week! It was pretty eventful in some ways. The other day I built my first Ger! We helped this one investigator family move and so we took down their ger, packed it in the back of a truck and then set it up at another location. It was way sweet! The floor was a little hard to sort out because it was like a puzzle and we had to figure out which one went where. Don’t worry though, I won and solved the puzzle. After that we put together the whole thing. It’s a pretty simple design but it’s remarkably warm during the winter. It can be like -40 outside and then 80 or 90 inside their ger! Sweet huh! And it’s all done with just fur and a stove in the center! So that was a good experience. It took awhile though…like 6 hours :( Also, I gave my first talk in Mongolian sacrament! I had borne my testimony before but this was like a real talk! SO that was way scary but I prepared and I followed the Spirit’s guidance and so it went well. They felt the Spirit and that’s the most important part. I gave it on likening the Scriptures. Also, another first. I received my first act of violence in Mongolia! The other day we were sitting at a bus stop just waiting for a meeker and then all of a sudden some guy comes up and just kicks me in the thigh and keeps walking. Me and like everyone around just like look at the guy are we’re like…”…ok?” Haha it was pretty funny actually. It didn’t really hurt and everyone around me was like, that guy’s a jerk. Anyways, I thought that was pretty neat, it could be worse ya know, another missionary got it pretty bad but I won’t go into detail just because I don’t want to worry ya’ll. Most importantly, we’re missionaries on the Lord’s errand and what happens is seen by the Lord. So, in terms of missionary work, we’re getting a little bit of success in my area. It’s really been like trying to revive an almost dead corpse but it’s coming along. We got 7 new investigators this week. Two families and then these two girls that are friends. The two families came to church today and I’m really excited for them because they seem very interested.

One of my new members, Otgone, recently got back from Japan. He’s got a problem with his eye and so he went to a hospital to get it check out. Everything is going to be good from what he said and he’ll be able to read books in not too long of a time. He shared with me a great story about how he was in the hospital and he was really hurting and scared. Then he prayed. After that, he said he didn’t hurt anymore, he was calm. He knew and I know that it was the Lord comforting him. I’m so excited for him and the way he’s progressing in his spiritual journey. He’s going to get the Aaronic priesthood next week which is going to be another great step for him. I can’t fully express the joy I get each Sunday as I talk to new members and investigators that have come to the Lord’s true church on the earth. It’s just a great feeling because I know that they’re on the right path and that they can find rest and true happiness here. Alright, so that’s about it for this week. As I continue on in this work, I just continue to see the Lord’s hand and know that he is there. That not one sparrow falls from the sky without the Lord seeing it, as Jesus taught. And more importantly, we are greater than that in God’s eyes and therefore he will provide for us if we will seek him. Isn’t in wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father never sleeps or is off duty, but that we can always find him in pray, in searching the scriptures, in attending the church and the temple. I marvel at that fact everyday.

K, well I love you all and hope and pray for the Lord’s protection over you. ~Elder Cappuccio

-----Original Message----- From: marathomom@aol.com To: james.cappuccio@myldsmail.net Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:26:13 -0400 Subject: Horse meat and Shith Lords

Dear James, So, I guess if your apartments aren't too bad I think I can handle a picture or two.... I could forward those Realtor pictures to your grandmother so she will not worry so much. She pictured you sitting on dirt floors in your new missionary suit while teaching members- have any pictures of that? Maybe when you get out in the country...

Sounds like your food is getting better except for the horse meat! The lamb I like, but nt sure I could like horse meat unless I didn't know what t was.? At our ward picnic brother Young was telling me about his Korean dining experiences and it was disgusting.? I think he enjoys telling us about that stuff. I also noticed you have been blessed by a better keyboard last week, so we didn't have quite a reading challenge this time.? Most of the people who get your emails think it makes the email better- adds some humor, so maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

That's nice the Joan Oakey wrote you a letter.? She is very nice, just wished she would move back close by. I forward you emails to her so she might forward them to Dan, but I haven't got any forwards form Dan. I will forward any mail I do get. So did you get the package brother Young mailed? If you got it when did it get there? Just want to see how long it took to get there.... We might need to send Christmas stuff in October. Thanks for the information about Mongolian people. I agree the names can be pretty weird. I think a name should be something you are proud of that means something, but obviously some people don't look at it that way. The politics and financial news is heating up. Government is bailing out the financial mess to void a depression, presidential debates are starting up and I am glad to still have a job. I don't think it is crazy that McCain picked a woman, it actually helped him in the polls. Voting Republican doesn't mean we are voting for the same thing we have had for the last 8 years though.? I think whoever is President will have a rough time. Anyway, I hope you are teaching many investigators and having a good time with your new companion. Are you teaching English now? WE love you and hope you are well. Love always, Keep the fire burning! Mom

No comments: