I remember people saying if you were bad they would send you to Outer Mongolia. In this case it's different, because James is good he's going on a mission to Mongolia.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Epic New Apartment- sent Feb 1,2009

Gunten Tag! Hola! Sain bainuu! Hello!

I don't know why I gave you the multi-lingual greeting, but I did. Anyways, I'm here in the PC cafe by my house writing you this e-mail. A lot fo things have happened since the last e-mail. We now have a house. It's not just house, it's like a penthouse when you consider most mongolian apartments! It's like brand new and it's got an automatic washer! Sweet eh? It's all wood tile which is good and bad and we got all new appliances for it all. I love it. If I have time I'll send pictures of it so you can get an idea. In the middle of our Apartment square there is like 4 statues of women and one of a horse. It’s pretty epic. Anyway, the word is that the power is going to cut out in this PC café really soon so everyone is typing frantically. It’s like a tornado is coming or something. That’s what it seems like. Haha, but it’s just the power. Anyways, we have a cell phone. That’s news. Usually it’s only the Zone Leaders and Assistants to the President, and the Sign Language Elders that have cell phones but we got a cell phone because we got no phone line in our new house. It’s pretty cool and handy especially because in our new area if we get lost or can’t find somebody’s house we can like call them and have them come out and find us. We haven’t tried that yet too much though because we got the phone on Thursday night. At first it was way annoying because I would call people and like they couldn’t hear me talk but I could hear them talk. It was frustrating for sure. Then we got a fixed phone so everything was better. As for our new area, is going alright I guess. Our Area makes NO, absolutely no sense. Some sections are neat and orderly because they are apartment complexes but the majority of it is all ger communities and they just through numbers and fences and all that stuff. So yea We did a lot of talking on the street and just finding people to teach. On Friday we had our first success getting into a home and it was way exciting. We were leacing an apartment complex and this man was outside his door smoking. We were about to pass him by and exit but then I felt like I needed to go back and talk to him So we did and we talked to him for a bit and then asked if we could talk more inside. He agreed and we had our first lesson! He was kind of weird because he asked a ton of random questions about America and churches there. He wanted to know how much percentage of Americans are LDS and I didn’t really know so that was weird. Anyways, the power won’t go out anymore so we’re safe. Phew! So we taught him and his son. His son seemed quite a bit more interested. Unfortunately, they didn’t come to church this week so we’ll have to see what’s the matter. At church we did have some other glimmers of hope though! When I was contacting, I called this guy named khatanbaatar and his wife answered. She was kind of confused on how I had his number but anyways, I invited her to come to church and she came with her relative! It was cool so we’re going to meet with them latter this week and hope everything goes well!

Another experience we had was quite a sad one. We were on a bus to head back to the city from our area and we got on and sat down next to some poor children in the back of the bus. We talked to them and became pretty good friends with them there. Then we decided to kind of show them our church so they could get an idea of what it was like, they looked like they needed that. As we got closer to the bus stop, some argument started up between the kids and the younger brother and sister started to get off. Well the big brother wouldn’t let the littlest one go for some reason and so he started to cry and get angry and try to punch his brother. At first the brother was really patient and just held him back from the door. Then, for some reason, he lost his patience and punched his brother in the face twice. It got really quiet and the boy started to cry a lot more, he was really hurt. Then the older brother realized what he had done. You could see it really hurt him seeing what he had done to his brother and he was on the verge of tears. I knew what it was like to because I’d been in similar experiences with Joseph. It was so sad, the way they had been raised had led to such a stark violation of real brotherhood and it stung the older brother a lot inside. To be honest, I almost started to cry as I saw this happen because I understood what was going on. So we got off together at the bus stop and walked to our church. The older brother tried to get back on his brother’s good side but it was practically useless. Then we entered the church building and I gave them a short explanation of our sacrament meeting and the room and then invited them to come back tomorrow for church. Anyways, I just thought I’d share that account of what family relations sometime come to in Mongolia. It’s a very rough, cold country sometimes.

Well, I love you all. I love doing this work and we’re going to work really hard with our members and investigators to find those wheat and rescue those lost sheep. I hope everything goes well for you back at home and sorry that the Cardinals didn’t win. It’s ok.

~Elder Cappuccio

-----Original Message----- From: marathomom@aol.com To: james.cappuccio@myldsmail.net Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 20:46:50 -0500 Subject: !

Dear James,

It's half time of the Super Bowl and the Cardinals are down by 10 points. They were down 10-7 with 18 seconds left and had the ball 1st and goal on the 4 yard line and a defensive lineman for Pittsburgh intercepted the ball at the goal line and ran it 100 yards back for a touchdown! He was a big guy and just mowed down the small guys that tried to knock him down. He had to lay down for a few minutes to catch his breath. Anyway, if you haven't written me by the time the game is over, I will update you with the final score later tonight. How is it going back in the big city? I know you liked Erdenet a lot. The keyboards work better there too! Do you have your own house or apartment yet? Yousaid you were in a new area, is it just a new area to you or is it a new area they are just opening up for missionaries to teach? I don't think I can get you a prescription without seeing a doctor, unless I buy some in Mexico. Having a huge zit may come in handy for opening up a converation about the gospel.

I am keeping busy at work and I hope it pays off next month with funding more loans. Cali is working on a big project board for National History day competition. She won her school competition and is going on to regionals. We're making her board out of plywood. She's pretty creative and likes to make things so I think it will be awesome. Joseph did the 4 mile run for the Trek this saturday. The trek is during spring break this spring intercession. I know it will be a good experience for him.

Take care andI hope to mail you some pictures in my next package, not sure when that will be but sometime before your Birthday!

Keep the fire burning!

love always, mom

No comments: